Navigation Buttons

Monday, August 13, 2012

Question of the week??????

What's your favorite international cuisine and which spice most defines it?


This really is a tough question for me as I love so many different cuisines for so many different reasons and they each have their own unique flavor profiles singed onto my palate like a delicate branding.  While I have sort of a school-girl crush on Italian food, it's almost unfair because I have the same level of fondness for Korean, Californian, French and Caribbean foods (not in any particular order).  

Without any uncertainty though, Eritrean cuisine always comes to mind when I'm thinking of my favorites.  The spices are so profound and satisfying; and I always leave the table feeling happy and balanced.

I think the spice that most defines Eritrean cuisine is Berbere spice.  Though it technically is a combination of heat from red pepper powders; sweetness from allspice, nutmeg, cloves and sweet paprika; nuttiness from fenugreek; and floral notes from coriander, ginger and cardamom, it really is such a distinctive flavor that it cannot be ignored.  Whether it is served mixed into a meat or veggie dish or on the side of a family style helping of proteins and veg over injera, it is an experience worth having and a taste explosion!



So what about you, what's your favorite international cuisine?  Feel free to answer and pose your own question of the week.  I'll be sure to keep a log of all the entries; you never know, your question may be next up!


No comments:

Post a Comment