Navigation Buttons

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Inflammation and Food...


Is your diet causing you more harm than good?  That's the question I've been asking myself as of late.  I have many food allergies and I've never really talked about it in full detail because it seemed to be "one of those things" that people just didn't want to get into.  A why would they?  The list is so long that it would take me--well...how long have you got?  *insert laugh*

The fact is that low-grade chronic inflammation is thought to be one of the leading causes of disease, premature aging and illness.  If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, bacterial or viral infections, chronic candida, acid reflux, arthritis or chronic sinus and digestive problems--you probably also suffer from minor to major bouts of inflammation; and inflammation can cause long-term illnesses that exacerbate health problems you already have.

Well recently, a friend of mines told me about some problems she was having with inflammation and the question piqued my immediate interest.  It made me want to take stock of the things "in" and "not in" my diet; and I, more recently, have developed a deep desire to understand and address them.

While my diet at times can be simple, I notice that it's so much easier to manage during most of the month.  I have yogurt, fruit and sometimes bread in the morning (or eggs); vegetables or soup in the afternoon; and for dinner, I have meat or legumes with veggies on the side as a way to get some protein in for the day.  But at the end of the month, when the moon is changing (and my body's cycle is too), I crave things that are not the norm, totally bad for me and sometimes things I am allergic to.

I've learned to listen to my body and I know now that most of my allergies, especially to fruit, nuts and vegetables are reactions to toxic pesticides and foods that cause inflammation.  ...And those cravings I get, are actually my body telling me that it needs certain things.  Iron, fiber, and a host of vitamins that it's loosing every day my moon is active.  I know that many women experience this as a normal occurrence each month; but it is important that we listen, and maybe even try asking our bodies (in that ever present internal dialogue) what it needs.  I promise you it won't say french fries or cookies; though if you listen closely, it might say "vitamin A" or "vitamin C".  It may tell you that you need more water, or more rest!  It might even say "stop eating that; I'm allergic" or "that hurts me".

It is when you get these types of messages that you can use your "go-to foods" to help reduce inflammation and feel much better about the choices you make when eating to ease and heal some of the discomfort and sluggishness you may be feeling.  I am also hoping that these "go-to foods" are things you will incorporate into your daily lifestyle as you explore what foods upset your personal balance and disrupt the natural flow of your day-to-day life.

So let's visit the foods you may want to stay away from if you are suffering from intermittent or chronic inflammation.  Here is a list of items to watch for when making your selections at the store, at restaurants, or in your kitchen at home.


Food
   Causes  
   Possible Substitute
    Substitute Properties
sugar
   inflammation, diabetes, acne
   organic coconut sugar
    low glycemic index
vegetable oil
   heart disease, cancer
   olive, hemp, flax oils
    oleic acid, heart healthy
trans-fats
   high cholesterol, degenerative illness
   NO fried, fast or trans foods
                         - 
dairy
   allergic reactions, digestive inflammation
   kefir, non-sweet yogurt
    easier to digest
processed meats
   heart disease, high cholesterol
   organic and free range meats
    omega-3
alcohol
   inflammation of the liver and throat
   filtered water, green tea
    antioxidants
refined grains
   cancer, degenerative coronary disease
   self milled whole grains
    grains left whole
artificial additives
   allergic inflammation
   natural plant based
    less danger of toxicity
                 ?
   allergic reactions/all types
   foods that don’t irritate
    anti-inflammation


Note that in the key for the above table, a "?" is used for you to insert a food that causes you problems and reactions of all types and take it through the chart to replace it with foods that don't cause reactions.   Further below, we will visit foods that you may want to add to your diet to alleviate and promote the healing of symptoms associated with inflammation.

Food
   Causes
   Possible Substitute
    Substitute Properties
sunshine
   decreased inflammation, vitamin D
   vitamin supplements
     vitamin D
fermented foods
   build immunity, control infections
   pro-biotics
     oleic acid, heart healthy
steamed broccoli
   fights inflammation, calcium
   vitamin supplements
                         - 
hemp oil
   reduces inflammation, omega-3
   unrefined organic oils
     easier to digest
salmon, cod
   reduces inflammation, omega-3
   other fatty fish, fish oil
     omega-3
soaked nuts
   vitamin E
   vitamin supplements
     antioxidants
onions, garlic
   antioxidants, reduces inflammation
   quercetin supplements
     grains left whole
turmeric
   unique flavor, reduces inflammation
   vitamin supplements
     less danger of toxicity
pineapple
   natural immune booster, antioxidant
   vitamin supplements
     anti-inflammation
spinach
   reduces inflammation, vitamin E
   vitamin supplements
     vitamin E
cinnamon
   treats diabetes, weight control
   ground, whole, organic extract
                         - 
milk thistle
   eliminates liver toxins
   supplement capsules, ground
                         - 
coconut oil
   fights fatigue, promotes weight loss
   organic sunflower oil
     oleic acid, stops free radicals
ginger
   treats arthritis
   ground, whole, organic extract
                         - 

Practice substituting foods you're eating now with some of the foods listed here.  Swap them out one at a time giving yourself 30 to 40 days to test out the outcomes and benefits for your particular body type; and remember, slow trials always work better than abrupt shocks to your body's systems.  When in doubt; consult a nutritionist or even a holistic homeopathic practitioner.  These consultations can yield a lot of knowledge as to what your body needs and what diets may work better for you.  Be well. 

Eat, Learn, Live!!!

8 comments:

  1. Thank You Chef Ikeena for such an informative article, I also crave certain foods during the moon cycle. I really notice the effect it has on my skin and energy levels, feeling sluggish and getting mood swings. Getting balance is so important and your easy to follow recipes on this have made it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy I could be of service Mary Joyce! Thank you for your thoughtful post and be well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I have had food allergies all my life. To my knowledge, they only affected my sinuses (at least that was the only obvious thing). I loved some of the things I was allergic to, so for years, I ate them anyway because I didn't really see any improvement when I avoided them (even for long periods of time). This, along with physical structural issues and sinus polyp surgery that I put off getting treatment for, obviously put a lot of stress on my body and last winter was the breaking point. My body finally said enough was enough and basically went into a crisis mode. I know I had inflammation throughout my entire body and my allergy cells showed really high in a blood test. I got really sick, which motivated me to make some serious changes. I discovered I may also be Celiac. I am eating so much healthier now, I have so much more energy, and even though I am not 100%, I feel so much better 90% of the time.

    I didn't know about organic coconut sugar! I wish I did because I try to avoid too much sugar. I just baked a zucchini cake yesterday and made some healthier substitutes, but with 3 cups of sugar (yikes!). I'm not a big stevia fan, so I'm going to be on the hunt for coconut sugar! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great information! I really try to eat healthy and organic, however I do like my sweets! I just purchased organic coconut sugar and have yet to try it. I use coconut oil for everything, even as a moisturizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Deanna! Sounds like you're very aware and I agree about the coconut oil. It's almost like a miracle plant...you can use it for almost anything--so many health properties to be had! I'm unclear why, as a nation, we're just really starting to learn about this...but I'm very glad we are! Thanks for posting, and for more info articles, look through my archive--there are some really good ones in there!

      Be and Eat Well!

      Chef Ikeena~

      Delete
  5. What a great reference this is! Thank you for all your diligence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loretta! You're most welcome! Contact me should you be interested in more info or help in decreasing foods that cause inflammation! (510) 842-6849

      Delete